I can’t help but feel that it is a bit unfair making a review for this Bodhi Library and Cafe. So before I move any further, I would like to point out that I was severely disappointed with the food. They had already so few to pick from on their menu and yet when we finally got there they only had waffles to offer.
Needless to say, after taking a long trip to get there, I couldn’t find myself to be impressed of the décor and the irresistible comforting vibe the place exudes. Their seats were in disarray and the first floor was closed. The profanity!
However, if you ask me if I wanted to visit Bodhi Library and Cafe again, I would definitely say “absolutely.”
Bodhi Library and Cafe Review
Bodhi Mind and Body might not be for the hungry, but it sure is for everybody else. Like I said before, the place exudes an alluring, calming feeling that would just simply have you melt in your seat, the whole theme is spot on, books on the drawers lined on the walls, shoes, and slippers adorn the entrance, mats and chairs scattered everywhere but none ever felt out-of-place and I just couldn’t stop calming down with the florescent shining over us with its warm orangey, retro tone that helps the varnished wood sparkle even better.
The place is absolutely stunning. I could vividly recall me and my wife talking over how we wanted to build a house inspired by this beautifully crafted place as we sit and ate our waffles while a construction worker awkwardly stares at us through the window. Yes, there’s a construction nearby.
We took our time there in reading books and casually talking over our caramel and blueberry drizzled waffles. And I really did not spare any reservations in taking pictures of this fine venue.
At first I really did not understand the hype that came with this place. Sure it is “Insta-absolutely-grammable” but I mostly review food, and I really can’t review them this way. If possible I would go there every day and made sure I had a taste of everything they had to in their menu before handing down the final verdict. But being a traveler, with schedules and constraints, it’s really hard to find a decent conclusion to that experience.
Sure, I could start off with clarifying that we came there under the worst conditions, taking them off guard with bad timing. Visiting after 2 typhoons have just passed by. But I really can’t let that pass. There needs to be food that matches the beauty or compliments the character of your Bodhi café at all times. Maybe they were lazy, maybe it was their way to salvage loses during the bad weather, maybe.
Look, I am going to take a “lose” for this review. Bodhi Mind and Body Shop was simply not at their best when we visited, but should you ask me if you should go to Bodhi Café? Definitely! But take into consideration the dates and times posted on their Facebook page. I heard that everything from the staff to the food is magnificent during sunny, dry days. However, they might become underhanded during the rainy, cold, seasons.
Side note: Although this is not the Bodhi café’s fault, we strongly advise taking insect repellent lotions if you go there during the rainy seasons. There are a lot of mosquitoes that can swarm you in seconds around the place.
Bodhi Library and Cafe Details
- Location: La Bella Tagaytay, Brgy. Neogan, Tagaytay City
- Bodhi Cafe and Library – located at the second floor
- Bodhi Mind and Body Shop – located at the first floor (only open on weekends)
- Monday to Friday – 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Saturday & Sunday – 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Coffee with herb- P55
- Hot choco- P55
- Herb tea P50
- Sky blue tea 50php
- Pegi waffles- P65
- Additional Toppings – P30 (choose from whipped cream, chocolate, caramel or honey)
- Chicken pita pockets:
- Wheat bread – P110
- Plain bread – P100
How To Get There
- Head to SLEX towards Calamba
- Take exit 38 toward Sta. Rosa
- Turn right onto Santa Rosa – Tagaytay Rd
- Turn right onto Tagaytay – Calamba Rd
- At Tagaytay Rotonda, continue straight onto Tagaytay – Nasugbu Hwy
- When you reach, Mendez Crossing, you’re just a couple of kilometers away. Landmarks are SM Savemore, Ministop and Jollibee
- Turn right at the street with the signage of Antonio’s and the Cabana, and La Bella
- Turn left at the street with the signage of La Bella Residences
- At the guardhouse, tell them you’re guests
- Welcome to La Bella!
- Once parked, you can walk a few meters to get to Bodhi Library and Cafe.
- Ride a bus heading to Tagaytay, Nasugbu, Lian, Calatagan or Alfonso in Buendia or Pasay. You can choose from the CelyRosa, DLTB Co., Alfonso Liner, BSC, or Cavite-Batangas bus liners. Travel time is around 2 hours while the fare is P100+.
- Ask the driver to drop you off at Radar. From here, ride a tricycle to La Bella for around P30+ (good for up to four persons).
Where to Stay
Since Bodhi Mind and Body Shop is located inside La Bella Tagaytay, you can opt to book a room on Airbnb. During our stay, we chose the Happy Soul Santorini Villa.
Their rates are at P3,200 plus P400+ service fee per night.
Also, here’s a P1,600 discount for your first booking on Airbnb when you sign up.
Note: The discount only works for new Airbnb users.
[su_button url=”https://www.airbnb.com/c/johanesb24?currency=PHP” target=”blank” style=”flat” size=”9″ center=”yes” radius=”0″]Get P1,600 (up to $40) off your first booking[/su_button]